About Me

My photo
I wear many hats. I am a Wife, Mother, Daughter, Granddaughter, Friend, Dental Assistant, Student, Big Sister, Daughter-in-law, Sister-in-law, Chef, Gardener, Nurse, Maid, Plumber, Seamstress...

Thursday, October 4, 2007

The "R" Word

The word "retirement" has sure been coming up a lot lately at work. I don't like it. It's become a bad word to me. Why is retirement a bad word? Because it is my boss who is talking about it. This year he turned 66. He is the BEST boss I have ever had! I mean, sure we get on each others nerves occasionally, but that's to be expected. I am his only full time employee so the poor guy is stuck with me all week long! I have been there 4 years now. That's the longest I have been at any dental office. My co-worker has been there for 20 years now. That's got to say something about the office. When patients ask when he plans to retire he always replies, "When my winning lottery ticket comes in." My boss knows that I don't like that word. When a patient asks him about it my boss tells them jokingly, "Don't talk about it, she gets upset." Now, my boss has never said that he is going to retire, but I do know that it is sneaking up on us. I am not worried about finding another job, I am worried about finding another boss. I dread that part.

No comments: