About Me

My photo
I wear many hats. I am a Wife, Mother, Daughter, Granddaughter, Friend, Dental Assistant, Student, Big Sister, Daughter-in-law, Sister-in-law, Chef, Gardener, Nurse, Maid, Plumber, Seamstress...

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Passing on the SPF Word

We live and we learn right?
Well I would like to pass on to you what I have learned about sun protection this weekend.
As you know, Last weekend I got myself a pretty good sun burn. At first I just thought it was just the regular sun burn that we all get once in a while. Turned out that I ended up sun burnt worse than I've ever been. Ouch! It was ugly. So I spoke with two friends of mine that just happen to be a doctor and a nurse to see what sort of sun protection they recommended. They said that off brand sunscreens generally aren't as good as name brands. They said sunscreen is just not one of those things you can be cheap about. They also told me that the bottle should say "broad spectrum UVA-UVB" and that you should look for "Avobenzone 3%" or higher.

This is the SPF that I used all last weekend...the enemy. It's an off brand and it said on the bottle everything they said it should say yet it still didn't work. I burnt to a near crisp on my left shoulder. This is not something I intend to do again.

This is what Doc Comer told me to use...my new best friend!

My lesson learned: Suck it up and don't be cheap when it comes to sunscreen!
Fork over the dollar bills or get burnt to a crisp and raise your risk of dying of skin cancer.


No comments: