About Me

My photo
I wear many hats. I am a Wife, Mother, Daughter, Granddaughter, Friend, Dental Assistant, Student, Big Sister, Daughter-in-law, Sister-in-law, Chef, Gardener, Nurse, Maid, Plumber, Seamstress...

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Good Samaritan

Just trying to be a good Samaritan...
On my way home from church this evening (around 8:15pm-I was at a ladies church event) I noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the chimney of a house about two blocks from my house. I thought to myself, "Wow, that's an awful lot of smoke," and kept driving home. Then I thought that maybe I should go back and take another look so I turned around and pulled into their driveway. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to stop worrying about it if I didn't at least check on these people. Those of you who know me know how paranoid I am and that this is not a normal thing for me to do by knocking on some strangers door at night. So I left my car running with the head lights glaring right on me at their front door even though they had their porch lights on. Cell phone in hand, just in case, I cautiously knocked on their front door. I was worried so I began stretching my neck to see into their kitchen window. A woman came to the door and didn't look too happy because she saw me looking in their window. Hey, I wouldn't blame her! I immediately began explaining why I was at their door, "I am terribly sorry to bother you but I was driving by and I noticed a lot of smoke coming from your chimney so I turned around to check on you. I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't at least check to see if there was a problem or not." She no longer looked irritated and explained that it was probably just the wood that they were burning. Then she stepped out onto the porch with me and looked up at the chimney and said, "Oh that is a lot of smoke. I'll have my husband check on that. Thank you so much for being so observant and concerned." I apologized again and told her it was no big deal. Then I went home. Five minutes later I hear sirens go by and I think a little prayer to myself for who ever those sirens are going to. I've made a habit of doing this anytime I hear or see emergency vehicles headed somewhere on a mission. A few minutes later Mylan and Larry get home from basketball practice and I tell them my story. Then they told me that those emergency vehicles were at the house I was talking about. Yikes! I am so glad I checked on them and I am so glad that I've made that habit to say a little prayer. Although, it may not have been the brightest idea to go to a strangers house , especially at night, I am glad that I did it tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leading by example is the best way to evoke change..Good job!!

Mrs. Hoffpauir