About Me

My photo
I wear many hats. I am a Wife, Mother, Daughter, Granddaughter, Friend, Dental Assistant, Student, Big Sister, Daughter-in-law, Sister-in-law, Chef, Gardener, Nurse, Maid, Plumber, Seamstress...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The best compliment ever

Yesterday, at work, a patient of mine gave me the best compliment I've ever had. She told me that a year ago she came into our office to get her teeth cleaned the day before her first chemo treatment (she had breast cancer). She told me that when she saw my short hair that she felt a new courage inside that she could go through with chemo and loose her hair and still be alright. That made me feel good. I get compliments all the time on my haircut, but to know that this woman who was scared to loose her long hair felt encourage just by seeing another woman with very short hair. I think that sometimes as a woman, that we get caught up in the thinking that our looks make us a woman. The fact that we have long flowing hair, a pretty face or slim figure, breasts or a uterus doesn't make us women. It is our hearts, our nature and our natural way of "motherly" thinking and loving that makes us the women we are. Those other things are just visual and superficial. Sure some of those things make it easier to identify us from men, but like I said, they're just superficial...vain.

No comments: